Monday, May 30, 2011

The Valley - May 30, 2011




I (Bob) must be a fool. Why would I decide to but a 3-foot deep valley right beside a hundred-year-old tree? In the beginning the reason seemed simple. I have two 2-foot high bridges and no place for them to go on my flat layout. The only place they could fit was in the west-side of the layout beside the old walnut tree. So I began to dig and dig hoping that I won't find any roots that crossed my path. This was naive. The roots that were less than an inch I was able to remove with my snipers, but the further down I dug the bigger the roots became.   I soon had the trusty electric chainsaw out. I feared I was playing a strange game of Jenga not to remove the root that caused the towering tree to fall.    I decided that I would have to leave the big roots and work around them.  The valley grew as I shovelled over my head into my ever-tipsy wheel-barrow. As I worked my way back to the location of the pond I wondered how I was going to connect the two together. I then got an idea;  a damn good idea -- or simply an idea to build a dam.   I dropped the pond liner into the ground and discovered it was tiny comparison to the massive canyon I created. It would have to do for now…. until I get my next foolish idea.



g-scale train

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment