Sunday, May 31, 2015

Staging Yard in G-Scale Garden Train Railway Fun Land - 05-31-15

(Blog Entry & Photos by Bob)

I have noticed that loading railcars from the garage to the tracks has become an ordeal.  I kept having to tip-toe to the centre of the layout to find room to put the railcars down.  I have decided instead of taking cars from the garage to the train tracks, that I would make the train tracks come to the garage.  The plan is to expand the layout 2-feet deeper into the backyard and use wood to make a staging platform.

The first thing I did was weather-proof some fence boards.


 photo 01-IMG_6057_zpssk7ahjot.jpg

I screwed some 2x4's together into a 20-foot ladder .


 photo 02-IMG_6058_zpszg7oz9az.jpg


I then removed the sod so everything could be buried into the ground.


 photo 03-IMG_6059_zps9yngkxpm.jpg


More sod had to be removed to run the staging yard around the switching yard.


 photo 04-IMG_6086_zpsklpwdinu.jpg


I dug out an 18-inch trench at the end of the patio stones.


 photo 05-IMG_6087_zpsz1rkk3ag.jpg


I had to raise the lawn and some of the patio stones.


 photo 06-IMG_6092_zpstd6nfzef.jpg


I used a level to make sure everything matched up even.


 photo 07-IMG_6094_zpsa3nhdfa1.jpg


I filled in the ladder-work with soil and screwed down the fence boards.


 photo 08-IMG_6095_zps8p6nnyf9.jpg


The track was then laid flush in the groove so it would not be a tripping hazard.


 photo 09-IMG_6098_zpssqcdwujp.jpg


Now the railcars can easily be taken out the garage door and into the layout.


 photo 10-IMG_6101_zpsrc93hxsg.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, but looked like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete