Sunday, October 5, 2014

Winona Garden Railway "Garnie Day 2014" Open House 09-27-14 PART 1

(Blog Entry by Bob)

Every year Winona Garden Railway, outside Guelph, Ontario, has an open house where you can run your trains, buy new and used equipment, meet new people and reunite with familiar faces to talk about the hobby.

I spent all week getting ready for the open house / used train table.  I phoned the store days in advance to find out what I may expect on the used table.  If John decided to put them out, Mary wanted to add to her collection of tanker cars and I wanted some Bi-level car carriers.  I charged the batteries for both my Road Locomotives and my Switchers even though I probably wouldn't take the Switchers with me. I planned to used my x2 large Canadian National locomotives to hooked up to the x32 ore cars to drag them around the outside loop to show everyone else how it is done. (GRIN)
I woke up Saturday morning at 7am so I would be first in line for the used train table at 10am.  Last year it was crazy with arms and dollar bills snatching everything up before you could figure out what you wanted.  I planned to grab x2 tankers first figuring the car carriers wouldn't sell as quickly because you need wide radius track and no low tunnels to run them.


I arrived in Guelph a little after 9am and wandered around talking to people.  I noticed that someone had hooked his x3 CN locomotives to the ore cars and was already traversing the outer loop. The x4 car carriers I was planning on purchasing were still on the layout (I had guessed John decided not to sell them).  There was an empty spot on the inside loop and I had 45 minutes to kill, so I went back to the car to grab my 2 Switchers to drag the car carriers around.  I was sharing the loop and had to keep pace with the other trains.  I did this for a short while when the unexpected happened.  The used table had opened and the crowd was already buying everything in sight... 


Stay tuned for Part 2 next week.   Enjoy the photos from Part 1.



 photo 01_IMG_5506_zpsa3c99365.jpg

 photo 10_IMG_5493_zpsaa112a79.jpg

 photo 09_IMG_5489_zps192f8ed7.jpg

 photo 08_IMG_5488_zpsc0a46685.jpg

 photo 07_IMG_5486_zps64882935.jpg

 photo 06_IMG_5478_zpsa60241b8.jpg

 photo 05_IMG_5470_zpsbe0beaa6.jpg

 photo 04_IMG_5460_zps2298e10c.jpg

 photo 02_IMG_5457_zpsde8c1b20.jpg

 photo 03_IMG_5456_zps81831ba2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment